Monday, July 18, 2011

Science Fun

For some time I have been wanting to start a blog about the activities we do.  Last weekend I went to an awesome conference for church weekday educators and it was very inspiring. One of my favorite classes was the sensory science class. So many easy ideas!

Today, I decided to do of the science projects with Sweetpea.  The first was "Exploding Color."  Pour evaporated milk into a bowl, place four drops of food coloring in the middle of the bowl.

Touch the center with a qtip that has been dipped in Dawn dish detergent. I let Sweetpea have the honors.

The next experiment was "Dancing Raisins"

Fill a glass jar half way with water and mix 3 TBSP of baking soda into it. Stir. Pour in vinegar until the mix bubbles over. (Wish I had gotten a picture of that!)  Put a few raisins in the mixture.

Sweetpea looking at the first floating raisin.


After a couple of hours all of the raisins were floating.

3 comments:

  1. Question: what exactly were these experiments demonstrating? They look like a lot of fun, but I wanna know why, please? For example, what was the significance of soaking the q-tip in dish soap? I'm dying to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lady didn't say why the dish soap made the food coloring move that way, but it was so fun that I decided to do it anyways. The vinegar and baking soda made carbon dioxide which made the raisins float. I have a few more fun things I want to do. Dino eggs are coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool :) Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete